Physical Science Tests
Please read the information below completely!
Placement into Mathematics 2A/5A from Test Scores:
You will be cleared to enroll in Math 2A (Single Variable Calculus I) or Math 5A (Calculus for Life Sciences) if at least one of the three things are satisfied.
- You scored 650 or above on the math portion of the SAT
- You received a math score of 29 or above on the ACT
- You scored 3 on the AP Calculus AB test.
(If you have not taken Precalculus, Math 1B is the recommended class to take)
New Students: Please ensure your test scores are sent to the university. Read how to do so here.
Other Math Placements:
- If you scored 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus AB test or 3 on the AP Calculus BC test you will be cleared to enroll in Math 2B (Single Variable Calculus II).
- If you scored 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC test you will be cleared to enroll in for Math 2D (Multivariable Calculus I).
- Scores from the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 1 or Level 2 are NOT used for placing you into Calculus at UC Irvine.
Alternative placement into Mathematics 2A or 5A:
If you wish to take Mathematics 2A or 5A but are not qualified, you can meet the prerequisites for the course by either of the following:
- Completing Math 1B with a grade of C or higher
- By taking the ALEKS Placement exam and scoring 80% or higher.
Option 1: Complete Mathematics 1B (Pre-Calculus).
A grade of C or better in Mathematics 1B will allow you to enroll in Mathematics 2A or 5A.
Students are encouraged to read carefully all of the information on this webpage to help them decide the best Math course, either Math 1A or Math 1B.
Option 2: Take the ALEKS Placement exam and score 80% or higher.
Step 1: Purchase access to the ALEKS PPL module: You must purchase access online for $20 and set up your account before you can take the test. IMPORTANT: You MUST purchase and access the ALEKS Calculus module through this link.
Step 2: Set up an appointment to have the exam proctored. This exam MUST be taken in the presence of a valid proctor, who will provide you the password to access the exam. The two options for proctoring this exam are:
Proctoring Option 1: Sign up to take the placement exam(s) via our online proctoring service, ProctorU, for an additional fee of $19.
- This option requires you to have a computer, a webcam, and a valid photo ID at the time of your exam.
- Be advised – you must schedule your exam with ProctorU at least 3 days in advance to avoid late fees!
- Information about ProctorU: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pn7vBBHEe6PDb98xwvgtjZxbDjnTzGXW
- ProctorU Technical Support: 855-772-8678
Proctoring Option 2: Register to take the placement exam at our office on campus for free. To schedule an appointment, contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: Return to your ALEKS dashboard and take the exam. To do so, click here. The access code will have to be entered by your Proctor. You are given two attempts.
The exam has a two-hour time limit. You may have pencil and blank scratch paper at hand to assist you while you take your assessment. Academic integrity is an expectation for all UC Irvine students.
Your placement result from ALEKS will be posted on the Academic Testing Center website within two working days of your taking the assessment. If you do not receive a score of 80% on your first attempt, then you must work in the ALEKS learning module for a minimum of 10 hours before you can take your second (and final) attempt. It should be noted that these modules are not accessible before your first attempt. Also, the second attempt cannot be taken within 48 hours of the first attempt.
A score of 80% or better on either attempt will place you into Mathematics 2A or Math 5A. If you do not score 80% or better on both attempts, then you must complete Math 1B with a grade of C or higher.
Your placement result from ALEKS placement will be valid for one calendar year.
Please note: Tablets, Chromebooks, and the Chrome browser are not supported at this time.
ALEKS Technical Support
ALEKS PPL Information: https://www.aleks.com/highered/ppl/what_is_aleks_ppl
For ALEKS customer support please phone or email:
Phone: Phone: 800-258-2374
ALEKS FAQ: http://www.aleks.com/faqs/technical
Preparing for ALEKS Placement: Click here for sample problems.
Here are also some videos to watch that will be helpful in preparing as well: https://www.math.uci.edu/node/22608..: https://www.math.uci.edu/node/22608..